Tuesday 19 May 2009

Price of supermarket bought organic vegetables

On 20 October 2008, I was in my local Sainsbury's and decided to write down how much they were charging per kilo for some of the veggies that I was growing at the allotment. I grow my veggies as organically as possible and so decided that the price of the organic versions was the one I should go for as that would be the nearest in quality to what I would be producing.

I've had this scrappy piece of paper kicking around the kitchen since then as I've always meant to post the figures on this blog but just never got round to it.

Well, today's the day! I know we're now seven months down the line and the current prices of the vegetables listed probably bear no relation to what they are now but if you're at all interested, you can do what I'm going to do come harvest time and weigh what you've picked and work out how much it would have cost if they'd been bought from the supermarket.

Actually I'll probably do this again nearer the time and write a fuller list (as there's only six types here) so, in reality, this is all a complete waste of both your and my time, but we're both just going to have to suck it up because I'm writing the list anyway -

Remember, the price is per kilo and it's the top of the range organic stuff from Sainsbury's:

Purple Sprouting Broccoli - £9.95
Brussels Sprouts - £1.95
Red Cabbage - 77p
Cucumber - £4.33
Parsnips - £3.19
Carrots - £4.22

Isn't that astonishing? The price of the purple sprouting broccoli is frankly criminal! And why is red cabbage so cheap by comparison?

Anyway, I'll do this again later in the year, but at least I can now throw this manky piece of paper away...

1 comment:

  1. I started doing what you are planning to do just over a month ago, as I need to justify my time spent in the garden LOL to OH. I'll get round to posting on my savings soon.

    Besides the smug feeling I get when I practically ignore the veg section bar a few items as the year rolls on and more stuff become ready to harvest, its interesting to note that I find myself using my plants to their absolute full potential, so instead of pulling the whole plant I take what I need, this prolongs the plants cropping time by sometimes two weeks or more. And it makes me feel good to know that I'm not wasting a resource by single harvesting.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.