Sunday, 2 August 2009
The weather has been particularly vile this week so I took the opportunity of it being dry to head off to the plopment in trepidation at the jungle I would find.
As expected, the courgettes are getting ideas above their station and straying dangerously close to the realm of the marrow. Nevertheless, I've found a fab-sounding recipe for Maltese Stuffed Marrow (thanks, Ali!) which I shall be attempting next week.
No more pattypan squash since the first one last week but there are more forming and the flowers are huge - the bees are queuing up to dive headfirst into them so I'm hoping for good things here. The plants themselves are really big so if leaf growth is anything to go by then a bumper crop (or at least more than one!) is to be expected.
I also harvested my first Beetroot, and it was perfect! Also perfect was the Resistafly carrot that I pulled up today. Last year's carrot crop was a total crushing disappointment on practically all fronts (too many legs, carrot fly tunnels). So I'm hoping I may have cracked it!
I also picked 1.7 kilos of Climbing French Beans. And half a kilo of Yellow French Beans. Good job we like beans in our house, then. I also picked Kale, a good coupla handfuls of sugar snap peas, a small amount of calabrese, a Little Gem lettuce and about half a kilo of blackberries, so quite a haul in total!
(The photos were taken on my phone so I'm hoping the quality is okay.)