Friday 30 April 2010

Don't Panic!!!

Two days after my last posting it was my birthday (I've posted about it in detail on my other, Mrs Jones, blog) and I had a very jolly time indeed, even though I had a slightly scratchy throat all day.

The next morning I woke up with a positively itchy throat and feeling like I was wearing an internal balaclava that weighed a ton.  "Dammit," I thought, "A cold".  But this, my friends, is no ordinary cold, this is the M&S of colds.  It's been going on a week, I've been coughing up my lungs all day every day until I have no lungs left.  I've been incredibly tired.  I must be so dehydrated from the amount of gunk pouring out of my nose (sorry to be so graphic, but there you are....). Everything is completely exhausting.  Hanging out the laundry requires me to have a sit down to recover for about half an hour, and going shopping will knock me back for half a day.

The bottom line is that I'm trying not to panic about the allotment.  I've still not managed to get my spuds in yet, and the grass will be knee-high by now and in desperate need of a good strimming.  I despair when I see how beautiful other people's plots are looking (like Ali's, for instance) when mine just looks, to all intents and purposes, abandoned.

Trouble is I'm just not well enough at the moment to do anything about it.  I could probably get down there and do a bit of light weeding but then I'd have to plonk myself down in my chair there to recover for twice as long as it took me to do the work. And it needs so much more than 'light weeding', now that the weather's warmed up and we've had a small amount of rain.  I've told myself that when I'm up to it I'm just going to have to invest a decent amount of time into knocking the plot into shape, but even if I'm feeling better soon, I'm not going to be able to get there until the end of next week as I'm off to visit the in-laws in South Wales from Sunday......

My stepdad has very kind said recently that he would give me a hand at the plot and I may just have to take him up on his offer.

6 comments:

  1. Don't woory - no point as you can't do anything about it. It will all sort itself out in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's no point knocking yourself out if you are ill; once you get everything in the ground it will soon catch up

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated birthday. My spuds aren't in yet either. Apparently, first and second earlies can be planted up to the end of May, and main crop can be planted up to the middle of May, so try not to panic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. GLA and Alienne - I know there's no point in fretting but sometimes you just can't help it, you know? Am feeling much better today and might just pop down there to have a recon.

    Jo - Really? That's good as I'm only planting main crops this year. They're sprouting like fury in the shed, mind....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you are feeling much better now, chin up :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you are feeling better, sounds like we have had a dose of something very similar and you could be right about it taking a couple of weeks to shift, I was feeling much better today ,coughing less, and less snotty (Sorry ! I know too much info) but then I got a dull headache and glands and ears aching, so a couple of Nurofen did the trick this afternoon.
    Don't worry about your plot, it's not too late to sow and plant out,and at least yours wont get frost bite if they aren't in.
    If you haven't managed to sow any seeds, don't despair as the garden centres and Homebase etc all have masses of veggie plants and they have sooo many I'm sure they will sell some off cheap. I know it's not the same but it's better than none at all, and there is always next year.

    Take it easy, and have a great time in S.Wales and come back all perky and ready to go for it on the plot.
    M x

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.